By Glenn Haege
(All rights reserved)
Restoration company will help artifacts
Dear Glenn: I work at a historical society in Ohio. We are having a problem with mold growing on some objects in the Carriage House. There is no air conditioner in there. There is a large fan upstairs that keeps air circulating. There is a furnace for cold weather. We did have a commercial grade dehumidifier recently installed. We had been using portable de-humidifiers before. My question is, once we remove the pieces from the cabinets where there is mold and treat them, what should we use to clean the cabinets to inhibit mold from growing and what is safe to use with old artifacts circa 1800-1900s? There are paper and cloth, leather, metals and all kinds of different materials in these cabinets. Thanks for your help.
Michele, Ashland, Ohio
Dear Michele: I would contact Emergency Restoration (866-225-5371) in Troy. They specialize in old documents that fall into harm's way. It sounds like you are doing a lot of right things. Controlling humidity is vital when trying to control mold and mildew.